Tracy A. RiesOf Counsel
Experience does matter, and Tracy's multifaceted career has allowed her to develop a keen ear for people's goals and values which lends itself to tailoring estate planning to the unique needs of each individual. Having a clear and concise estate plan allows a person to dictate what will happen to their property and personal effects after death.
Tracy’s practice is focused on estate planning such as drafting wills, trusts, powers of attorney for healthcare or property, and counseling clients on the administration of estates. Tracy guides individuals to plan for the future giving them the comfort of knowing they have clearly disseminated their wishes to family.
Tracy has also closed real estate transactions and represented spouses and parents in every aspect of family law proceedings, including divorce proceedings, paternity proceedings, child and spousal support cases, removal cases, restraining orders, orders of protection, and division of assets and debts.
Tracy values efficiency, accuracy and responsiveness. She provides professional well thought out services without delay.
For years, Tracy worked alongside Illinois State Representatives and a State Senator on a Legislative Advisory Council, an extremely humbling and rewarding experience. She served as the Recording Secretary for the State Finance & Budget Committee, Recording Secretary for the Education Committee, and the Executive Secretary for Special Sessions.
Being cognizant of the challenges that face our families and children today, Tracy spent many years on multiple boards as the President, Treasurer, and Communications Coordinator of local 501(c)(3) PTA units working to provide students with enrichment and enhancement opportunities not provided by the school district. Tracy has in-depth involvement in different school district committees such as the state’s PBIS (Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support) and CHAMPS (Conversation, Help, Activity, Movement, Participation, Success) discipline model, as well as planning district-wide board of education candidate forums.
A competitor at heart, in addition to trying to win Uno games against her children, you will find Tracy somewhere in Chicagoland getting out her competitive spirit on a tennis court. When she isn’t working on her mid-1800’s home, she is planning her family’s next travel adventure. But, the law is her passion, and Tracy uses that energy to adeptly service the needs of her clients.
J.D., Loyola University School of Law, 2004
B.A., St. Norbert College, 1999
Illinois State Bar Association
ISBA, Trusts and Estates Section Council, Appointed Member
2023 - Present
ISBA, Trusts and Estates Section Council, Access to Justice Committee, Member
2024 - Present
- Illinois Probate and Trust Administration
- Practical Administration of Pet Trusts
- Why Won't the Bank Accept my Client's Power of Attorney
- The Basics (and Not So Basics) of Transfer on Death Instrument
- Medicaid, Medicare and Long-Term Care Needs: Rights, Responsibilities and Remedies
- Obtaining Adult Guardianships: What you Need to Know
- Beyond Taxes: Securities Law Considerations for the Estate Planner
- Estate Tax Apportionment: Who Bears the Burden of Paying the Tax?
- Know your Took Kit: How Planners Can Address Select Guardianship and Public Benefits Concerns
- The Justice Gap and How to Achieve Equal Justice for All
- The SECURE Act and other Recent Developments in Estate Planning for Retirement Assets
- Drafting Special Needs Trusts for Vulnerable Clients - A National Perspective
- Water the Family Tree: Adding Value for Clients
- Estate Planning and Trust Administration Under the Illinois Trust Code: Top 10 Changes in How We Administer
- Drafting Wills for Challenging Family Dynamics
- Proper Care and Feeding of an Estate Plan: How to Prepare Better for Post-Death Administration of Estates and Trusts Long Before the Client Actually Dies
- Never Out of Style: Charitable Solutions for Today
- Intersection of Alternative Investments & Estate Planning: Taxation, Planning & Fiduciary Risk Issues
- Estate Planning for the 99% Boot Camp
- Collaborative Law Training
- Guardian Ad Litem and Child’s Representative Training
- Robert Musante’s: Take a Killer Deposition
- Legislative Advisory Council
- Executive Board Member/President of multiple PTA units
- Team Captain, Northern IL Travel Tennis
- Judge for DuPage County High School Mock Trial Competitions
- Extern for Cook County State’s Attorney, Juvenile Justice Bureau
- Residential supervisor, program manager, counselor and advocate for adults with mental illness, developmental disabilities and people who were homeless